"Hey! If I put some of those yellow leaves in this potion it starts making a loud whistling sound ... Oooh, look at the light!" - Last words of Tborren F'Norn, Gnomish Alchemist
It’s often said that it’s easier to stop the passage of time than the racing mind of a gnome. Though something of a hyperbole, gnomish intellect is renowned in the worlds of alchemy and herbalism alike for their natural affinity for the complex sciences. Their metabolism allows them to process toxins far better than other races. However, this comes at cost to their muscle density. Though they are not limited in physical stature, they are simply incapable of ever achieving exceptional levels of strength.
Gnomes are easily recognizable by their heads of intensely vibrant hair in shades of green, pink, yellow, orange, or blue. A gnome’s eyebrows and any facial hair also grow in the same bright colours. Some gnomes have been known to freckles that match their hair as well.
Some believe that a gnome’s hair colour tells something of their personality. Blue hairs are thought to be more reasonable, at least by gnomish standards. Greens are talented herbalists and alchemists, or poisoners depending who you ask. Orange hairs are inquisitive and tend towards invention, and away from safety guidelines. Pinks are the free spirits, or the sweetly naive of the race. And yellow haired gnomes are thought to be gifted as seers, though usually destined for madness. This ‘gnomenclature,’ as it is sometimes called, is typically rebuked by gnomes as nothing beyond a stereotype when confronted with it personally. However, it is hardly uncommon for them to buy into it themselves to some degree or another.
- Begin with 10 Skill Points (SP)
- Begin with 4 Life Points (LP)
- Begin with 2 Resurrections
- Begin with one Resist Poison skill
- May purchase additional Resist Poison skills without the prerequisite 8LP
- May purchase LP to a maximum of 8 LP
- May purchase Herbalism skill for 2 SP less per level
- May purchase Alchemy skill for 2 SP less per level
- Cannot purchase the Physical Prowess skill
- Brightly coloured hair: Green, Pink, Yellow, Orange, or Blue. This must be a worn wig completely covering all of the players natural hair and any hair on the face must be coloured to match. (A player with their natural hair dyed is not acceptable)
- Optionally, costuming may include freckles of the same colour as the hair.
Youth: This is the minimum starting age for a given race. This is also the minimum age that can be achieved through rejuvenating spells.
Elderly: This is the age when the effects of time begin to take their toll and benchmarks aging negatives for a character, eventually affecting their Life Points.
Aging: Upon reaching the age indicated in the “Elderly” column, a character’s maximum LP decreases 1 Life Point for every increment of years indicated in the “Aging” column. For example, if the racial maximum LP for a goblin is 8 LP, a 42-year-old goblin character would have a maximum Life Points of 6. (A 42-year-old Goblin is 12 years over “Elderly” and, marking two increments of aging at 5 years each, reducing that characters’ Life Points by 2.)
Maximum Age: Upon reaching the age indicated in “Max. Age” the character is deceased and may not resurrect.