Gelrich Book of Law
Hayden’s Support of The Monarch's Decree
Within my Duchy the following shall form the foundation of Law and Order.
- Profane Worship: You may not openly speak the incantation of a Profane deity nor build and maintain a church. There shall be no gatherings of 3 or more members of a Profane faith.
- Restricted faiths: Those invested in these faiths: Balaxa, Hemulis, Strega, Anajaream, Iccula, and Kell shall receive greater punishments for crimes committed in the service of their deity or acts taken to benefit their faith as determined by the Ruling Noble.
- Summoning beings is forbidden without allowance from a Lord/Lady or the Duke/Duchess of the Lands.
- The charge of Necromancy shall be added to any crime for those who embrace, study or use Necromantic magic or beings.
- Infernal and Necromantic beings are considered Outlaws of the Duchy.
- The act of slavery or claiming ownership of an individual is illegal.
- Those defending outlaws are still considered lawful individuals until charged with a crime.
- All papers provided by Nobility,their agents or Guilds must be kept up to date and be presented to Nobles, their agents or Guild leaders within 1 hour.
- Those without papers who pose no threat to Yeoman or greater shall not be killed upon Duchy lands.
Laws and Standard Punishments
Below is outlined standard punishments for crimes within Gelrich. These punishments are to make those who choose to live or act within Gelrich aware of the potential consequences for breaking laws. It is also there to ensure a level of fairness between individuals who are punished for crimes. The punishments are listed with varying severity representing repeat or higher degree of criminal activity.
The standard punishment is a guideline and not the rule. During trial any punishment may be sentenced by the Ruling Noble appointed to fit the crime. This means that if a crime is committed with a level of hostility or malice the punishments may be more severe.
Taking valuables belonging to another without consent from the individual. Failure to return belongings to an individual upon request within reasonable time.
- Reimbursement up to the items value
- Dismemberment/ public shame
- Fine, as given by Guard Captain or found acceptable in trial
- Imprisonment for repeat or multiple offenses
Willfully and purposely causing injury to another Yeomen or greater status.
- Fines fitting the status of the assaulted.
- Imprisonment following repeat offenses.
Willful action that causes the death of another, this charge may be laid even if the victim did not return via resurrection or pass through the Curtain but the intent of murder is perceived.
- Reduction of Status
- Execution with repeat or multiple offenses
Conspiracy is the act of negotiation or working with individuals or groups who have known hostile intent to the Duchy or Harodom.
- Loss of Status
Slavery is the act of forcing an individual into service or subjucation against their will. This charge may not be brought against a Noble pronouncing a judgement as punishment for a crime within the Duchy.
- Loss of Status
Casting a Restricted spell
Casting a spell on the restricted list without the allowance granted by proper authorities.
- Seizure of restricted magic materials
Casting an Illegal spell
Casting a spell on the Illegal list without allowance to do so by the Ruling Noble or Duke/Duchess.
- Loss of status
- Seizure of magic materials
Impersonation of Noble or Authority
Utilizing fake documentation or acting as a position of authority not rightfully obtained. This can include forged documentation such as writs or claiming to be an individual with a Noble title of Haradom or elsewhere.
Failure or refusal to address Nobility with respect. Failing to use proper titles when addressing Nobility.
Restricted or Illegal Item Possession and/or Distribution
Obtaining, possessing or distributing Restricted items without allowance within the Dutchy.
- Seizure or items
- Imprisonment for repeat offenses
Profane Crimes and Necromancy
The profane classification outlines particular faiths or entities deemed undesired or against the Monarch’s Decree within Haradom. The Profane list is specific for the Gelrich Dutchy. Crimes committed by those working with or utilizing power listed as Profane will receive harsher sentencing. Those that embrace the Profane forfeit their chance to gain Citizen, Serf or any Noble title from the Nobility of the Duchy.
Profane Faiths, Magic and beings
- The Following Faiths are listed as Profane; Kazzok, Blythe, Astrid, Staza.
- Magic that summons infernals.
- Magic that raises and commands the dead, entrapts the spirit, or creates undead beings from the spirit.
- Infernal and Celestial beings.
- Power or magics granted of an Infernal or Celestial nature.
- All beings of the Undercity and their agents are considered Profane.
Profane and Necromantic Association
One may be charged for crimes connected to beings not of this world or necromantic entities if there is proof of aid, knowing or unknowing, that assisted the being commiting the crimes.
Actively casting necromantic spells, seeking necromantic abilities or knowledge. Utilizing necromantic magic upon a being, corpse, remains or spirit.
- Reduction of status up to Outlaw
Running or attending a service of a Profane deity. Casting openly with the incantations of a Profane god. Organizing with 3 or more members of Profane faiths.
- Seizure of assets
- Loss of status up to Outlaw
Restricted and Illegal spells
Certain spells are considered dangerous and can cause lasting negative effects. These are spells that often require powerful or specific magic to undo or cure.
Restricted and Illegal Items
Arcane Death Mixture or Formula
Potions of Restricted spells
Scrolls of Restricted spells
Items that cast Restricted spells
Potions of Illegal spells
Scrolls of Illegal spells
Items that cast Illegal spells
Upholding the Law
Ruling Noble of Yorik: Lord Donovan Hayden
Lord Donovan Hayden has direct charge over the Law and decides punishments of those who break said laws or act against the Monarch’s Decree on Duke Hayden’s behalf. He has the charge of allowing trial and is expected to oversee and give ruling at trials on behalf of Duke Gregory Hayden.
Guard Captain Charge
Those Citizens appointed the honour of being Captain of the Guard are able to act with the following authority under the Ruling Noble.
A Captain may act or order action of guards/deputies alike to detain individuals they directly witness committing or participating in a criminal act.
A Guard Captain may deliver fines up to 200 copper to those Yeomen or Outlaws considered Red Handed for any crime where fine is a common punishment: Theft, Assault, and Profane worship. These fines are considered the judgement for the crime and must be reported to the Ruling Noble.
The Captain may request questioning of individuals that they believe are linked or have knowledge of a crime under investigation. The individual to be questioned must comply within 1 hour or may be fined up to 200 copper collected by the Guard Captain and face further punishment. Questioning is not to exceed 30 minutes. Truth may be used during Questioning with either permission from the one being questioned or a writ or permission from the Ruling Noble.
The Captain of the guard may request the following writs from the Ruling Noble.
- Truth: Allow the truth spell to be used during Questioning
- Detainment: Allow the Guard captain to organize the detainment of a known or potential criminal.
- Punishment: In rare circumstances this writ allows the Guard Captain to seek out and deliver a punishment passed by the Ruling Noble to an individual. This ruling would be made public when the writ is granted.
Not every Guild has the same freedoms. Below are a few examples of what benefits a guild could potentially gain within Dutchy Lands.
Guild Law: May allow for Guild members to have their sentence of Fine, Seizure of items, or service provided by the Guild.
Restricted allowance: Allows the Guild to have, sell, trade or use certain Restricted items for some or all Guild members.
Illegal allowance: Allows the Guild to request to use or keep an Illegal item or spell.
(OOG: Mechanic of Punishment)
Questioning: Though questioning can happen between events, there can be no penalization for not doing so.
Reduction of status
Lowers the status of a character. The order of status is: Monarch > Duke/Duchess > Baron/Baroness > Lord/Lady > Knight/Dame or Magistrate > Citizen or Serf > Yeoman > Outlaw.
Removal of limb with a length of time before it may be healed.
Causing the death of a character.
A lump sum fine to be paid within a period of time.
A monthly amount added to downtime cost to be paid over a period of time. Often to a specific individual.
Seizure of items
The forceful loss of items, lands, or luxuries to the Ruling Nobility. Nobility may auction these items or distribute them to others.
Removes all downtime from characters between events. Mechanically they are allowed out on patrol once per month (for the event). Character’s status changes to prisoner.
Puts the character in service of another via RP. OR they are treated as apprenticing without benefits.
Puts the character to a specific labour task until they pay a certain amount with the labour. Reduction of downtime.